Breakthroughs Film Festival is excited to host our first ever BFF Emerging Filmmaker Pitch & Party! 4 teams will be selected to pitch their short films in front of a jury of industry experts and a live audience for a chance to win a production award valued at $3,500. The ideal candidate is an independent, emerging filmmaker who has not yet made their first feature film and is currently in any stage of production for a short film, to be finished by December 2020, that requires additional funds for completion. We welcome all formats and genres!
The winning team will be awarded the following:
· A cash prize of $1,000 from Breakthroughs Film Festival to fund the creation of the project
· In-kind post production services valued at $1,500 from Red Square Production in Toronto
· 1 year WIFT-T membership, valued at $200
· $300 WIFT-T cash voucher programming pass
· 4 free tickets to the 2019 Breakthroughs Film Festival
1 director from each of the 4 teams selected to pitch will receive complementary lifetime distribution membership at the CFMDC.
· The director of the project must identify as a woman, trans, or non-binary person.
· The director must identify as ‘emerging’ i.e. they have not yet completed a feature length film as of March 2019.
· The proposed runtime must not exceed 20 minutes.
· Selected teams must be available for a mentorship session on March 30th and for the live pitch on April 6th, in Toronto.
· Expected film completion date: December 2020.
· Incomplete applications will not be considered.
How to Apply:
Complete this Application form. We only need 1 application per team. Please attach only the director's jpeg & bio in the form as per the instructions.
Send us the following as 1 PDF:
Synopsis (300 words)
Script or Treatment
Budget (include BFF grant award)
2-3 Visual Examples (reference photos or videos that speak to your filmmaking style/approach)
Note: Bio and headshot are requested in advance for marketing purposes and are not part of the application evaluation process.
2019 SUBMISSIONS CLOSED!
For any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org