BFF Emerging Filmmaker Pitch
Call for Submissions!
Breakthroughs Film Festival is excited to partner with WIFT-T & CFMDC to present the first ever BFF Emerging Filmmaker Pitch & Party! Four teams will be selected to pitch their short films in front of a jury of industry experts and a live audience for a chance to win a production award valued at $3,500. The ideal candidate is an independent, emerging filmmaker who has not yet made their first feature film and is currently in any stage of production for a short film, to be finished by December 2020, that requires additional funds for completion. We welcome all formats and genres!
Applications Open: Jan 16, 2019
Application Deadline: 11:59pm Feb 24 2019
Notification Date: March 8 2019
Mentorship Session: March 23rd 12pm - 3pm (attendance mandatory for selected teams)
Live Pitch Event: Saturday March 30th 7pm (TMAC, 36 Lisgar Street, Toronto ON)
The winning team will be awarded the following:
· A cash prize of $1,000 from Breakthroughs Film Festival to fund the creation of the project
· In-kind post production services valued at $1,500 from Red Square Production in Toronto
· 1 year WIFT-T membership, valued at $200
· $300 WIFT-T cash voucher programming pass
· 4 free tickets to the 2019 Breakthroughs Film Festival
1 director from each of the 4 teams selected to pitch will receive complementary lifetime distribution membership at the CFMDC.
· The director of the project must identify as a woman, trans, or non-binary person.
· The director must identify as ‘emerging’ i.e. they have not yet completed a feature length film as of March 2019.
· The proposed runtime must not exceed 20 minutes.
· Selected teams must be available for a mentorship session on March 23rd and for the live pitch on March 30th.
· Expected film completion date: December 2020.
· Incomplete applications will not be considered.
How to Apply:
Complete this Application form. We only need 1 application per team. Please attach only the director's jpeg & bio in the form as per the instructions.
Send us the following as 1 PDF:
Synopsis (300 words)
Script or Treatment
Budget (include BFF grant award)
2-3 Visual Examples (reference photos or videos that speak to your filmmaking style/approach)
Note: Bio and headshot are requested in advance for marketing purposes and are not part of the application evaluation process.
Send completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
with the subject heading "BFF 2019 Pitch Application" by 11:59 Feb 24th, 2019.
For any questions, please contact email@example.com no later than Feb 20th, 2019.
Red Square Motion is a boutique post production facility that houses top guns of the creative post production world. We take projects from edit to finishing and deliverables, including colour correction, VFX, and delivery to broadcasters, digital outlets and/or theatres. Part of our mission is to foster local Canadian talent, so that together we can propel Canadian content on the International market. Every year we focus a lot of our attention on assisting emerging and independent filmmakers in bringing their vision to the big screen.
Established in 1967, CFMDC is a not-for-profit, artist-run centre that has since grown and evolved into a world-renowned distributor of independent media art. We honour our collective history of avant-garde art film, while playing a key-role in determining a more contemporary definition of distribution in the digital milieu. Now in our 50th year, with 3700+ films in our catalogue by over 1000 members, CFMDC is one of the most enduring, respected, forward thinking, and engaged, distribution centres in Canada.